- Information we collect
To run our service and show you relevant content we need to know a little about you and your interests. Here we outline what information GLOFIRE collects, and how we collect it.
- What we collect When you sign or create a petition via our GLOFIRE platform, an account is created for you. All your campaign activities are then tied to this account.If you create a GLOFIRE Causes account, you submit to GLOFIRE certain information about you for your profile, and all of your activities on the GLOFIRE Causes platform are then tied to this account. You must create a separate account for GLOFIRE and GLOFIRE Causes.
Through these activities and upon your general use of our platforms, we may collect and/or receive the following information about you that reveals your specific identity, or is directly tied to your specific identity:
- your name
- your postal address
- your telephone number
- your email address, or non-email authentication if you are using a mobile device
- your profile picture
- other information you voluntarily submit (for example: photos, Twitter handle, biography, political party affiliation)
- your unique mobile device ID number if you access our services via a mobile application
- your social media account ID and information shared with us via your social media account
- your specific activities on our platforms – for example, petitions you have started or signed, sponsored petitions you have signed, or campaigns you have shared or promoted
- information inferred about the issues you care about and candidates you support based on your activities on the platforms (e.g. animal rights, climate change);
- information about you available in public records, or other publicly available databases, such as civic data APIs, which, as an example, we use in the United States to help match citizens with the elected officials who represent them at all levels in government;
- information about you that we get from third party data providers. We obtain this data with assurance from these providers that you have consented to the collecting and sharing of this data. We don’t actively collect sensitive public data such as medical data. In addition, we only collect information that is permissible to collect in each country where we operate.
If you use the GLOFIRE platform for fundraising (either by setting up or contributing to a fundraiser), we will collect additional information:
- the currency of the contribution
- the amount you contributed or received
- the goal amount of the fundraiser
- the country and location of the fundraiser
- the amount of any refund
We also collect information that does not reveal your specific identity, or does not directly relate to you, such as:
- browser and device information
- information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies
- demographic information and other non-identifying information provided by you (such as a zip code or general geographic area)
- How we collect it
- When you create accounts on our our platforms, you will be asked to create a user profile that includes information such as your user name, city, state, and country. You may choose to upload photos and provide additional information as well.
- When you are signed in to your account, your activities on the platforms are tracked and are associated with your account. Such activities may include signing a petition, creating a petition, sharing someone else’s petition, posting a comment, submitting or upvoting a question to a candidate, posting a candidate endorsement, following a candidate, creating or participating in a fundraiser, opting in to being contacted by an advertiser, or skipping a sponsored campaign.
- When you download and use our existing or future mobile applications, we’ll collect your unique device ID and all your account and activity information will be tied to that unique device ID. In addition, we may track and collect app usage data, such as the date and time the app on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the app, and this information may be associated with your GLOFIRE or GLOFIRE Causes account.
- When you use a website that allows for the posting of content to GLOFIRE through our Application Programming Interface (“API”), your activities are recorded as if they were directly on our site and applications.
- We may collect information through your activities offline, for example when you respond to user surveys or provide information if we assist you by telephone.
- We may obtain information about you from public records, publicly available databases, and third-party providers as described above.
- We may obtain certain information through your social media accounts if they are connected to your GLOFIRE or GLOFIRE Causes account. If you log in to GLOFIRE or GLOFIRE Causes via Facebook, we ask for your permission to access certain information about your Facebook account, activities and friends. Social media sites make information available to all apps through their APIs, such as friend lists. The information we receive depends on what information you or the social media site decide to give us.
- Browser and device information: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and the name and version of the platform you are using.
- IP Address: Your “IP Address” is a designator that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet service provider (ISP). An IP Address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you use our platforms and services, along with the time of your visit and the specific page(s) that you visited.
- How we may use your information
Here are the ways we might use your information to run our platforms, provide our services and serve you better content.
- We use your information to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as when you create petitions, sign petitions, post comments or endorsements, upvote questions, contribute to fundraisers, or participate in other activities on our platforms, sites, apps, and third-party sites who use our API, and to complete and fulfill your transactions with us.
- We need your contact information to send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding our services and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- We use your information for general business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new services, enhancing, improving, or modifying our platforms, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of campaigns, and operating and expanding our business activities.
- We personalize your experience by presenting petitions, campaigns and offers tailored to you based on what we know about you. We may also send you promotional communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
- If you create a GLOFIRE Causes account, we may also send you emails about actions you can take, such as asking a question to a candidate or making an endorsement, and notifications about your activities and the activities of those you follow (for example, trending questions, candidate responses, upcoming town halls, and messages from candidates and organizations you follow). We may also send you reminders around elections and in connection with other major political events.
- We use your information to allow you to participate in events and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose information about you, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully.
- We need information about your social media account and activities to facilitate social sharing functionality, such as sharing petitions or other content, through our platforms and other social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
- We use your account information to allow you to send email messages to your email contacts through the GLOFIRE platforms, such as to share a petition. By using this feature, you guarantee that you have the right to use and provide us the names and email addresses you submit.
- We use information about your computer or device to ensure that our site, apps, and APIs function properly and are optimized for your computer or device.
- If you are using one of our mobile applications, we use your device ID to recognize you when you use the application and to store your preferences and settings.
- We use IP Addresses for administration and security purposes, such as calculating usage levels of our sites, apps and API, helping diagnose server problems, and detecting fraud and spam behavior.
- We may use and share aggregated and anonymized information to better understand and serve our users or for optimization of our marketing and ad targeting efforts. For example, we may compile statistics like the percentage of our users in a state or country who care about animal rights, or the age range of those users.
In some instances, we may combine non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information (for example, we may combine your name with your geographical location or combine your name with information about your activities on our platforms ). In such case the combined information will be treated by us as personally identifying information and protected accordingly.
In some instances, we may combine information about you from your activities on the GLOFIRE platform and on the GLOFIRE Causes platform. For example, we may personalize your experience on GLOFIRE and send you petitions we think may interest you based on the issues you support or questions you post or upvote on the GLOFIRE Causes platform. Or we may display to you on GLOFIRE an advertisement on behalf of a political party that you have endorsed on GLOFIRE Causes.
As described above, we may combine the information you submit to us with information about you from public records, publicly available databases, and third-party providers.
- Who may receive your information
Here we outline when and how information can be shared – either by you via the platforms, or by us. Organizations can pay to promote their campaigns (that’s what helps keep the platforms free to use), but we won’t share your contact details with them without your permission.
- The GLOFIRE and GLOFIRE Causes communities
- Your name, general geographic location (such as city, state, country), and a link to your GLOFIRE user profile may be displayed on the landing page for any petition you sign, and on related areas of our platform. This information will be viewable to any visitor, including the media, search engines, and other organizations that provide archival Internet activities. If you do not wish to have your personal information displayed on a petition landing page, you may select the option not to display your signature publicly.
- We also share your first and last name and city with the person who initiated a petition you have signed, even if you select the option not to display your signature publicly. If you do not wish to have such information shared with the person who initiated the petition, please do not sign the petition.
- We may identify you to the recipients of messages you may choose to send through our platforms.
- We may, in certain circumstances, share your name and general geographic location with the intended decision maker who is the recipient of the petition. If you do not wish to have this information shared with the petition recipient, you should not sign the petition.
GLOFIRE Causes is about publicly expressing your views on political issues and candidates. Your name, general geographic location (such as city, state, country), and a link to your GLOFIRE Causes user profile are displayed in connection with any content you post or endorsement you make on the GLOFIRE Causes platform. This information will be viewable to any visitor, including the media, search engines, and other organizations that provide archival Internet activities. If you do not wish to have your personal information displayed on GLOFIRE Causes, you should not use the service.
If you start a fundraiser on GLOFIRE, your contact information may be shared with other users who have contributed to your campaign, for example to facilitate a dispute resolution.
Our platforms provide an open forum for communication by users all around the world. We do not monitor, verify, or perform any background checks on campaign starters, petition signers, political candidates, organizations, endorsers, or other members of GLOFIRE or GLOFIRE Causes. Interacting with others on our platforms and the resulting sharing of information is at your own risk.
- Your other social media platforms
- You may voluntarily share information on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs, and other services to which you are able to post information and materials (including the GLOFIRE pages on Facebook and other social media platforms). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public information, and may be available to other GLOFIRE users, social media platform users and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose any information about yourself via the social sharing features of our platforms. For more details regarding posting content to our platforms, please see our Terms of Service.
- Advertisers and ad networks
- Only at your election and if you specifically consent, we may share information about you with our advertisers, including your email address, mailing address and the petition you signed. We may also share your telephone number, but only if you separately consent. The advertiser may then use this information to communicate with you and send you promotional materials that may be of interest to you. We do not control the content or frequency of communications that you may receive from our advertisers.
- We may use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements regarding goods and services that may be of interest to you based on your use of and activities on our platforms. To do so, these companies may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser (including through the use of pixel tags). If you would like more information about this practice and to learn about your choices in connection with it, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.aspand http://www.aboutads.info/. You can also see our section below entitled “Advertising networks”.
- If you are using one of our mobile applications, our ad network partners may use and store your mobile device ID to show ads that they consider relevant to you in various mobile services that you use. If you would like to learn about your choices, please see our section below entitled “Your privacy choices”.
- Administrative purposesWe may share your information with third parties for the following purposes:
- Companies within the GLOFIRE group of companies: We may share your information with our affiliates, which are entities under common ownership or control of GLOFIRE to provide our services in different countries. GLOFIRE operates both the GLOFIRE and GLOFIRE Causes platforms and will share data among these two platforms.
- Our suppliers, subcontractors and business partners (“service providers”): We may share information about you with our services providers who process information to provide services to us or on our behalf. We have contracts with our service providers that prohibit them from sharing the information about you that they collect or receive with anyone else or from using such information for other purposes.
- We work with Stripe, a Payment Card Industrycompliant payment processing company to process credit card payments in connection with fundraisers, promoting petitions, and other transactions. If you create or participate in a fundraiser, Stripe will store on our behalf the following information:
- For organizations and individuals who create a fundraiser: Your name and bank account details, date of birth, address, city, state, postal code, IP address of the device used while creating the fundraiser account, and the last four digits of your social security number.
- For users who make payments: your full name (if you do not have an existing GLOFIRE account) and your credit card details.
- Fraud prevention: We may disclose the personal information we collect about our users when we believe disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent, or respond to suspected illegal or fraudulent activity or to protect the safety, rights, or property of us, our users, or others.
- Law enforcement purposes: If requested or required by government authorities, such as law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, or otherwise to comply with the law, we may have to disclose any information we have about our users. We also may disclose information collected about you in order to exercise or protect legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- Sale or merger of our company: We have no plans to sell our business. In this unlikely event, we may transfer your personal information to a third party if we or any of our company affiliates are involved in a corporate restructuring (e.g., a sale, merger, or other transfer of assets).
- Your privacy choices
Your GLOFIRE profile is set to private by default. You can edit your GLOFIRE profile and the settings to make it public and manage certain emails we send you. Your GLOFIRE Causes profile is public.
- Account settingsYour GLOFIRE profile is set to private by default. We allow you to choose whether your user profile is private, viewable by the public, or viewable only by the GLOFIRE friends you have designated. You also may update your profile information and remove certain causes, organizations, or friends from your profile page through the “Settings” page.You can change your Privacy settings by clicking here, or logging in to your account, clicking on “Settings,” and selecting “Privacy”.
Because GLOFIRE Causes is about publicly expressing your political views, your profile and most of your activity on GLOFIRE Causes is public. As we develop the product, we will be adding the option to edit your privacy settings.
- Social mediaYou can edit or remove the permissions you have granted to GLOFIRE or GLOFIRE Causes to use information from your social media accounts by using the application privacy settings on your social media account.If you’ve signed in on GLOFIRE or GLOFIRE Causes through Facebook connect, you are likely cookied by Facebook. You can modify or change those cookies through the settings on your Facebook account. For more details on cookies, please see our Cookies Policy.
- Email settingsIf you no longer want to receive emails from GLOFIRE going forward, you may opt out of receiving them by following the instructions contained in any email or by logging in to your GLOFIRE account, clicking on “Settings,” and selecting “Email Preferences”. We will comply with your request(s) within 10 working days. Please also note that if you do opt out of receiving emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages (such as updates about your account or service changes), and you cannot opt out from receiving these messages.If you no longer want to receive emails from GLOFIRE Causes, you may unsubscribe from all emails or delete your account. Please note that if you do opt out of receiving emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages. As we develop GLOFIRE Causes, we will be adding the option to edit your email settings on that platform.
- Advertising networksYou may opt out of receiving targeted online advertising from advertising networks that may be delivered on our platforms and other websites by visiting the following websites:
- Network Advertising Initiative (http://www.networkadvertising.org/)
- Digital Advertising Alliance (http://www.aboutads.info/consumers)
Please bear in mind that there are many more companies listed on these sites than those that place cookies on your computer when you access our platforms.
We may also display ads within our present or future mobile apps. If you are using an iOS device and you do not want to receive tailored in-application ads that relate to your interests, you may opt-out by accessing the following link on your device:http://oo.apple.com. If you are using an iOS device, you also may limit the delivery of tailored ads through the following process: Open Settings and tap “General” then tap “About”; Scroll to the bottom of About and tap “Advertising”; Flip “Limit Ad Tracking” to ON. If you are using an Android device and you do not wish to receive tailored in-application ads, you can visit Google’s Ads Preferences page from a browser on your device and make your choices there. We do not control how the applicable platform operator allows you to control receiving tailored in-application ads; thus, you should contact the platform provider if the above options are no longer available.
- Third-party analytics companiesTo opt out of Google Analytics, please go to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. To opt out of Mixpanel’s automatic retention of data collected through your browser while on the Website, please go to https://mixpanel.com/terms/and the opt-out link available at https://mixpanel.com/optout/. These opt-outs may be provided through the use of specific tracking opt-out cookies. Please note that if you get a new computer, install a new browser, or erase or otherwise alter your browser’s cookie file (including upgrading certain browsers), this may also clear the opt-out cookie.
- Accessing or deleting your information
If you want, you can ask us for the information we have about your account and even ask us to delete it.
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress, or delete information that has been previously provided to us by you, you may log in to your account, click on “Settings” and update your profile information.
As we develop GLOFIRE Causes, we will be adding the option to edit your profile on that platform. You are able to remove endorsements, questions or other content you have posted on GLOFIRE Causes by finding that content linked from your profile page.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for mandatory record keeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to your request. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, but such residual information will no longer be tied to your identity. For example, if you created a petition, we will have records that other GLOFIRE users signed your petition. If you subsequently ask us to delete your information from our platforms and databases, information related to those other users’ signatures cannot be removed and will remain in our records. Similarly, if you upvoted a question to a candidate on GLOFIRE Causes, your upvote will still be counted after you delete your GLOFIRE Causes account.
- Data retention & security
We take a lot of measures to protect your personal information. If you suspect someone else is using your account, let us know by contacting our Help Desk.
- Cross-border transfers
GLOFIRE is a global organization with offices around the world, so your information can be transferred across borders when you use the platforms. We comply with the “US-EU Safe Harbor Framework,” a set of rules about the transfer of personal information from Europe, but have put in place other measures to legally store European users’ data since the framework stopped being recognized in October 2015.
GLOFIRE is a global organization. Your personal information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the platforms you consent to the transfer of your personal information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country.
GLOFIRE complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries. GLOFIRE has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. With the recent European Court of Justice ruling no longer recognizing the Safe Harbor Framework, GLOFIRE has put in place other means to safely and legally store the personal data of our European users in the US. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view GLOFIRE’s certification, please visit http://export.gov/safeharbor/.